Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Mod Illegal in MD?

1. Angry Exhaust Mod Illegal in MD?

Okay, I know this is a common topic, but I could only find info on this for VA and not MD. On Thursday I was pulled over (in my own neighborhood) for having a modified exhaust and was told it is "illegal in MD to have any type of modification to your exhaust". My exhaust set up on my Evo IX MR is by far the most quiet one I have heard and I have been driving it this way for over a year now. I don't rev it and I don't blast around town with it. For 13 years I have had some type of car with an aftermarket exhaust and have NEVER been pulled over for this. I was given a warning and the young cop told me his own RX 7's exhaust is way louder!! WTF? A second cop car pulled up behind the first and it looked like I was getting busted for something and all my (stupid) neighbors could see. Now I'm paranoid and ticked off. Any insight guys??
    **1994 Mustang GT & 2010 Evolution X SE #215 of 340**

Looks like they were bored or wanted to check you out.
    Last edited by derangedazn; 10-13-2007 at 12:09.
    Fiat 500...That's right...Italian Baby.

Last I checked there was no law regarding exhaust in MD only VA! I sure that is why you only got a warning. The reason I know is because Younger Motorcars in Hagerstown install Greddy and AEM exhaust products at their dealership and the manager told me that is why they can legally do it. I'm sure you could check with the DMV.
    2003 EVO 8 RIP
    Totaled By Sleeping Hag OCT 29th 2007!
    Now Rocking a 2008 Toyota Prius!

Which part of MD do you live? Never got pulled over for my exhaust and Im in MD.

Quote Originally Posted by bbyevochick View Post
    Which part of MD do you live? Never got pulled over for my exhaust and Im in MD.
    +1 Never been pulled over in Maryland for exhaust.
    UCS Performance
    Fresh Designs
    Redline Designs Custom Graphics

12 EVO X
    03 EVO 8-placed in every major car show on the east coast.

6. I'm in Brunswick, MD, Frederick CO. It's right near Burkittsville (The Blair Witch movie place). Yeah, out in the boonies. Even when I lived in Howard County I wasn't bothered.
    **1994 Mustang GT & 2010 Evolution X SE #215 of 340**

Might be where you are , I ride past the cops all the time and you can clearly see that I'm not running a stock exhaust and they don't say anything. Did they give you a repair order or just a ticket?
    Last edited by LittleRedWagon; 10-13-2007 at 12:37.
    i love e85........

Quote Originally Posted by Red03Evo View Post
    Might be where you are man, I ride past the cops all the time and you can clearly see that I'm not running a stock exhaust and they don't say anything. Did they give you a repair order or just a ticket?
    I think he is a she.
    Fiat 500...That's right...Italian Baby.

opps, sorry...my error.

Let me fix that.
    i love e85........

Found this:

http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_...exe?gtr&22-609

Article - Transportation: § 22-609.
    (a) A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.
    (b) A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.

That's like how most people drive around with illegal tint and dont get pulled over. I agree that the cops must be bored because they have no one else to pull over.

im running catless and a open wastegate, ask bbyevochick or red03evo how loud my car gets.

Quote Originally Posted by j3ffw21 View Post
    im running catless and a open wastegate, ask bbyevochick or red03evo how loud my car gets.
    waking up the whole damn neighborhood n shyz. those damn ricers!

I don't know about MD, but I was just pulled over Friday for my exhaust and lack of front plate in VA on Friday. I have been running like this for over 2 years, it is possible that they are now starting to crack down. I wasn't even given a fix it ticket just the straight fine. Still sucks that I have to pay out the $120.00 bucks but I guess that is the price you have to pay around here to have an import. Never heard of any american cars getting pulled over and I have a buddy with a loud a$$ mustang cobra and a built GTP as a daily driver. He has never heard of such a thing on any of his forums.
    Mods: 2.3L Stroker, JAM Stage II Head, Tomei ARMS Turbo, ETS 3" FMIC, 650cc FIC Injectors, Aquamist HFS-5 Kit, Tallen COP, GM BCS, StopTech Stage 2 Brake Kit, Megan Street Coilovers, and 18" Volk GTUs Gunmetal + supporting mods

Modified exhaust is technically illegal in MD. It is rarely an issue because MD cops tend to not enforce vehicle code violations (except not having front tags).
    2005 Evo VIII: 24 psi, stock turbo, Buschur stg 3 head, full bolt ons.

Cops Suck

Thank you, that is all i have to say
    2003 GREEN Evo 8
    For now...387AWHP
    420AWTQ
    11.87@119mph
    If ur not first, ur last!

Thread Information